The Graphic Concrete technology is the printing of your visual idea on a special paper and transferring it to a concrete surface in the precast process.
How to start
Graphic Concrete allows you to impart nearly any pattern, image or design onto precast surfaces. It opens up an unlimited range of design possibilities with the renowned resilience of precast concrete. The technology transfers custom or stock graphics as a surface retarder via paper placed at the bottom of the precast form. After the concrete is cured and extracted from the form, the retarder is washed away, revealing an image that results from the contrast between the fair-faced (smooth) surface and the exposed aggregate surface. It is as durable and maintenance-free as concrete itself. You can select various aggregates and pigments to dramatically expand possibilities in the finished surface. Precast concrete has a new look. And it’s more beautiful than ever.
1. The designer chooses a pattern from our GCCollection or designs a unique pattern or image.
2. Graphic Concrete prints the pattern/ image on the special Graphic Concrete paper and ships it to the local precaster.
3. The local precaster produces the concrete using the Graphic Concrete papere in the production.
4. The assembly ready Graphic Concrete is shipped to the site and installed.
Our method creates a unique opportunity for you to transfer desired images or patterns onto a concrete surface just utilizing the material's own properties.
The technology consists of a special paper where the desired pattern or image is printed with a surface retarder. The papaer is placed at the bottom of the precast form when casting the concrete. After the concrete is cured and extracted from the form, the retarder is washed away, revealing an image that results from the contrast between the smooth cement surface and the exposed aggregate surface. It is as durable and maintenance-free as the concrete itself.
The imprint of your image or pattern will be very precise. Color pigments can be added and aggregates of different colors can also be used to further enhance a pattern or design.
- Graphic Concrete can be used in horizontal, prefabricated concrete products.
- The technology is not suitable for in-situ casting.
- Typical areas of application include facades, sound barriers, pavers and interior applications.
- The paper is disposable and can be cut to any shape or form.
- There is no limit to the panels size panels and it does not require any special concrete mix design.
- The method is easy to use and cost effective.
- The result is a beautiful and durable concrete surface.
Choosing the right concrete mix
The choice of concrete depends on your project. Be it traditional precast or a thinner glass fibre reinforced concrete; Graphic Concrete works with all types of prefabricated concrete.
The choice of concrete mix depends on the need of the project both in terms of strength and appearance and in relation to local legislation and building codes. The design begins by determining the requirements of the concrete. These requirements take into consideration the weather conditions that the concrete will be exposed to in service, and the required design strength.
When it comes to your Graphic Concrete Mix Design, you should always contact a local precaster to discuss requirements and possibilities for your specific region. Ask about available aggregate colors (prefer local!) , because that will be a determining factor for the final look of your Graphic Concrete.